Tuesday, January 3, 2017

P.S. We Got Bedbugs!

HELLO!!
Almost all of my close. Bedbug proofing.
 The Wahlquists
Well, it has been a fantastic six weeks here in Batesville, Arkansas! I will be going back to the Little Rock Spanish area with Hermana Keller! She is a really really good missionary, we have done some exchanges together and I'm excited to be with her again! (Hermana Thornton just finished training Hna Keller and will be coming here to Batesville. In other words, we are having a companionship swap!)
Gathering for transfers

I guess it's due to that fact that I have been serving in Spanish speaking areas, but I have never had so many people comment on my "accent" before than in Batesville. I have had some people tell me I've developed a bit of a southern twang but I think I have always had that. Anyway, people know we're "from ... somewhere else" (given with weird look) and definitely not from Arkansas. I will miss that.
 
Last Sports Night in Batesville
We had a lot of tender mercies this week, here's one:

We had to spend a bit of time at the library figuring out technological issues with the iPads. We were there for 1-2 ours maybe. About 15 minutes before we left a sweet older lady came in and sat across from our computer and wished us a Happy New Year. As we gathered our things to leave, I went to give her a pass along card and she said "I already have one of those! Aren't you the same girls that came over a few weeks ago and have left me some notes?" WHY, YES WE ARE!

She was a potential investigator we had been trying to contact for a few weeks. We met her on exchanges one night – in the dark – for just a brief moment and she was all dressed up so I didn't quite recognize her until she said something about it. We ended up talking some more and she knows a few members of the Church in the area, and may have a copy of the Book of Mormon already. We asked if we could come by the next day and se said of course. The other cool part is that she actually let us come over the next day! We had a quick lesson on the Book of Mormon and got to know her a bit better. We (the sisters that will be in Batesville this transfer) will also go do service with her at the rest home!
The View

Oh there are so many inspirational things that I have learned this week alone. As a mission we are starting the Book of Mormon again this year and doing these markings: 1. Names or pronouns of Jesus Christ 2. His attributes 3. His words or when a prophet says, "Thus saith the Lord" and, 4. Doctrines and principles of the gospel (then tallying all at the bottom of the page). I know I have a testimony of the Book of Mormon because I have prayed about it and continue to pray about it every time I read. 

"Pray, read, pray. Pray, read, pray. Pray, read, pray." -President Wakolo

It is the best combination! As I have asked Heavenly Father if what I read that day is true, I always get a generally good feeling. Sometimes it's more overwhelming than others and sometimes I have to rely on the testimony I already have, but I always feel good and peaceful about the doctrines and principles I just learned.

Also, I read Joseph Smith's testimony this week and it's so cool that this experience happened as he was praying. "I betook myself to prayer and supplication to Almighty God. … "While I was thus in the act of calling upon God, I discovered a light appearing in my room ...." (The Testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith). He had put himself to much prayer and supplication for three years faithfully and patiently waiting to do the Lord's will. Prayer is really important and can be so powerful!

Have a happy new year and I hope you keep all of your resolutions! Buena suerte!

Hermana Macfarlane

(I'm assuming these are all pictures with the wonderful Branch Members in Batesville? She didn't say who everyone is.)








No comments:

Post a Comment